Parenting can be a daunting task. But once you get a hold of it, the ship sails smoothly from that point onwards. Honestly speaking, this might not be the case for all people. While you might excel in some tasks, others won’t be as easy, maybe worse than expected. The best advice we can give you on this matter is that there is no such thing as a perfect parent.
As long as your child grows up to be a decent human being, you have succeeded. Parenting is very challenging and demands a lot of your time. Some parents might feel that ever since they had children, there is no time left for extra activities such as exercise or chores. Despite that, you are somehow always on your toes. There is very little truth to this.
A landmark study in Preventive Medicine, which was conducted in 2008, stated that parents with young kids are far less active than non-parents. This was published by reviewing 25 studies on parenting and physical activities, and mothers, in particular, were at a higher risk.
So, what can you do about this? Well, a jogging stroller might have all the answers for you.
What is a Jogging Stroller?
Jogging strollers look exactly like a normal stroller, except they are well-built. A jogging stroller consists of three large wheels and a pod. The pod acts as a water-proof camp, which keeps your children safe and cozy in all conditions. In some strollers, the pod can be detached and placed on a bicycle. The wheels of this stroller can be interchanged to make it a regular stroller.
It is a device or invention you can use to take your children on the run with you. A jogging stroller will help you get back in shape and spend some quality bonding time with your kids. It can help increase your physical fitness as well as maintain mental well-being. It is the easiest solution for everyday exercise needs.
There are many types of strollers. Research and get the one best suited for your needs.
How Does It Work?
A jogging stroller helps you run along with your baby; the design is specifically created to work at high speed. It comes with additional features like emergency brakes, two wheels that absorb shock and help with a smoother ride, and a fixed wheel in the front to avoid buckling at high speeds.
Running with a stroller requires practice and a technique that works for you. The best approach is to practice running while swinging one hand and keeping the other on the stroller, exchanging arms in intervals. While running, make sure to keep your knees aligned and land on the middle foot.
Running with the Jogging Stroller
Try following a walk-run plan when starting out with your jogging stroller. It is one of the best approaches. The heavy load might make you tired quickly so, try not to go uphill at first. Running on tracks and sidewalks is manageable to get the hang of it. The walk-run technique will help with mobility and stability while building endurance.
Exercises You Can Try
There are many things you can use your jogging stroller for besides running. These include:
Upper Body Workout
When using your jogging stroller in the park, try to do push-ups using park benches or trees. They are very similar to wall push-ups, and doing 15 to 20 reps of this in between your jog will help strengthen the upper body.
Back Muscles Workout
Try to do a semi-squat and hold the position. Now, move your stroller outwards and then bring it as close to your chest as possible. Keep your legs planted and do 15 to 20 reps of these as well.
Biceps and Triceps Workout
Try to lift the stroller using your hands and curl it towards your chest. Another way to target your triceps is to push the stroller down as much as you can while keeping your legs straight. Do 15 to 20 reps in between runs.
Lower Body Workout
Grab the handles of the jogging stroller and bend downwards into a squatting position. Keep in mind to always keep your knees aligned and back straight. Repeat the same process and do 15 to 20 reps.
Try doing 15 to 20 reps of lunges, hip raises, and butt kicks the same way while holding your stroller and moving your legs.
Try to maintain the maximum distance between you and the stroller while holding it. Lean forward and hold that position for 30 seconds to 1 minute. The stroller should not lift, try maintaining a nice balance.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind before going on the run with your baby.
- Make sure your baby is older than six months. The baby’s head and neck are not stable before this age and can bounce around, causing injuries.
- Always keep the front wheel locked or fixed. This will stabilize the stroller and prevent it from turning and crashing.
- Jogging strollers come with a storage basket. Make sure to pack snacks, water, food, diapers, and toys for the baby.
- Protect your child from weather conditions by using visors, windshields, and sunscreen. Keep in mind to dress your baby according to the weather.
- Don’t forget to use the harness.
- Always run in parks, sidewalks, and tracks, where there are no bumps and signs of ongoing traffic.
- Try to manage running with one hand and use the other to support the stroller.
- Take your child out of the stroller to play and rest if you plan on running for a long time.
A jogging stroller might look difficult to use at first, especially for running enthusiasts, but it comes with additional health benefits.
- It helps develop lower body and core strength because of the resistance from the additional fixed wheel.
- The increased effort put into running with a jogging stroller burns more calories.
- It helps improve sulking posture and challenges your daily stagnant routine.
- It assists strength training and keeps your bones and muscles strong.
- It promotes positive mental health, as you don’t have to depend on someone else to take care of your child.
- It helps develop the baby’s senses and introduces him or her to a fresh new environment. This helps the baby stay active.
- It helps you stay fit and healthy because of the added stretching and pre-run exercises.
It is best to do some core, stretching, or breathing exercises such as cardio before you step outside for your run. This helps counteract any muscle tightening or puling.
Try to take part in non-competitive races that allow running with a stroller. They can be a fun and delightful way to motivate you to work towards your goals and help you socialize with other parents as well. Some races are specific to parent-baby duos; make sure to keep an eye out if you want to participate.
Don’t Use the Jogging Stroller If:
- You have not properly recovered post-pregnancy. Try building up core strength before starting running,
- You have joint problems. Running has high-impact on the joints, so if you suffer from any joint or bone disorder, try looking for different exercises.
To overcome the challenges mentioned above, try postpartum exercises or practice proper strength, mobility, and fitness routine at home.
As parents, you should make your life a bit easier using physical methods such as a jogging stroller. Remember to start when you feel ready. The jogging stroller is an excellent investment, which will help you rejuvenate from your routine life and clear your thoughts. It is the best way to spend time with your baby while getting in shape.